Gorgeous aren’t they? With all the new arrivals on the pond, it’s probably a good idea to remind everyone that, while it’s great to feed the ducks, giving them bread isn’t such a good idea. Bread doesn’t have the nutrients that growing birds need, and it can attract rats to the pond.
The best foods for ducks and wildfowl are those that provide the nutrients, minerals and vitamins the birds need for healthy growth and development. Many of these foods are similar to the natural seeds, grains and plants the birds will forage on their own.
The best foods to offer include:
• Cracked corn
• Wheat, barley or similar grains
• Oats (uncooked; rolled or quick)
• Rice (cooked or uncooked)
• Birdseed (any type or mix)
• Grapes (cut in half)
• Frozen peas or corn (defrosted, no need to cook)
• Mealworms (fresh or dried)
• Chopped lettuce or other greens or salad mixes
• Vegetable trimmings or peels (chopped)- not potato peel